
Sorry for the last email, I had finally gotten a copy of a picture and wanted to show everyone how helu (beautiful) I looked.
So, the traditional Jordanian engagement party involves only women and the groom (and at the end of the party, the groom's brothers usually crash the party as well). During this party the groom gives the bride all of her gold (and believe, there is usually a lot, think the tackiest gaudiest stuff you can imagine!) and there is dancing, cake and pepsi.
I decided to pseudo-replicate this party at my house, with other volunteers and women from my village. The women in my village got really excited about the party plans and kept asking what I was going to wear. At one point I even told them it would be a pajama party and I would wear pajamas, and they were horrified. The way you look is very important, especially on this big day. I vetoed the idea to go to a store and rent an engagement dress (what most people do) and finally agreed to let one of my coteachers dress me up and do my make-up.
I was more than a little worried about what she would bring over, because I am a solid four inches taller than her (and that is when she is wearing at least two inch platforms) and she probably weighs about 85 pounds (with all the layers for winter included!) I have no idea where she found them, but she brought over three dresses for me to try on, and my friend and I agreed the purple one was the most Jordanian (it was almost impossible to keep a straight face trying them on, "oh, this one is beautiful! Oh, this one is even prettier!!")
So while they set to doing my makeup and hair, the rest of the volunteer girls (there were about 16 total, 12 that slept at my house for two nights) served cake (I cooked five in my land lord's oven, they had never seen boxed cake before and now are obsessed!) and entertained my Jordanian friends.
I made my grand entrance, which was super embarassing, because there were twenty people with cameras aimed at me, and I haven't shown this much skin since I left the states July 6! So hopefully I will be able to get more pictures of myself looking scared and embarrased from other volunteers.
The party consisted of dancing and singing. The Jordanian girls wanted "tablas" (drums) and I didn't have any, so we made do with tupperware and a plastic trashcan. I have some fantastic video of them singing traditional wedding songs (inserting my name and Cuttino's, both of which they have trouble with). But I have no way of posting video, so you will just have to come and visit if you want to see it!
The party was a lot of fun and I definitely couldn't have done it without the help of my amazing co-volunteers (I was too busy having new lips drawn, purple eye shadow, and eight tons of red white and blue glitter put in my hair to help!)
Teaching is going well, we have finally started the new semester and hopefully the weather will start getting warmer now!
Miss you all and love you!
Jessica
So, the traditional Jordanian engagement party involves only women and the groom (and at the end of the party, the groom's brothers usually crash the party as well). During this party the groom gives the bride all of her gold (and believe, there is usually a lot, think the tackiest gaudiest stuff you can imagine!) and there is dancing, cake and pepsi.
I decided to pseudo-replicate this party at my house, with other volunteers and women from my village. The women in my village got really excited about the party plans and kept asking what I was going to wear. At one point I even told them it would be a pajama party and I would wear pajamas, and they were horrified. The way you look is very important, especially on this big day. I vetoed the idea to go to a store and rent an engagement dress (what most people do) and finally agreed to let one of my coteachers dress me up and do my make-up.
I was more than a little worried about what she would bring over, because I am a solid four inches taller than her (and that is when she is wearing at least two inch platforms) and she probably weighs about 85 pounds (with all the layers for winter included!) I have no idea where she found them, but she brought over three dresses for me to try on, and my friend and I agreed the purple one was the most Jordanian (it was almost impossible to keep a straight face trying them on, "oh, this one is beautiful! Oh, this one is even prettier!!")
So while they set to doing my makeup and hair, the rest of the volunteer girls (there were about 16 total, 12 that slept at my house for two nights) served cake (I cooked five in my land lord's oven, they had never seen boxed cake before and now are obsessed!) and entertained my Jordanian friends.
I made my grand entrance, which was super embarassing, because there were twenty people with cameras aimed at me, and I haven't shown this much skin since I left the states July 6! So hopefully I will be able to get more pictures of myself looking scared and embarrased from other volunteers.
The party consisted of dancing and singing. The Jordanian girls wanted "tablas" (drums) and I didn't have any, so we made do with tupperware and a plastic trashcan. I have some fantastic video of them singing traditional wedding songs (inserting my name and Cuttino's, both of which they have trouble with). But I have no way of posting video, so you will just have to come and visit if you want to see it!
The party was a lot of fun and I definitely couldn't have done it without the help of my amazing co-volunteers (I was too busy having new lips drawn, purple eye shadow, and eight tons of red white and blue glitter put in my hair to help!)
Teaching is going well, we have finally started the new semester and hopefully the weather will start getting warmer now!
Miss you all and love you!
Jessica
No comments:
Post a Comment